Monday, March 9, 2009

In the Moment

Last weekend, the girls wanted to go on an "Adventure Hike". Claire and my dad (Grandpa Jaybird) had explored the hillside near our house the day before and the only thing the girls could talk about was going on another hike. We bundled on our coats (with Claire deciding her pink rainboots would be the best option for footwear while Dylan opted for her brand new tennis shoes...bad idea because they don't look new anymore) and forged ahead. We headed to the end of our cul-d-sac, headed due west and proceeded to explore the hillside where the dreaded fire-storm from last fall had rolled through.

We climbed down the lava flows, tried to catch bugs with the net (still too cold), and picked up EVERY interesting artifact we could find.


Lastly, we headed back up the decimated hillside through the slippery mud with our fearless leader guiding the way.

The girls couldn't stop talking about their adventure and how much fun it was. It occured to me that "it" hadn't been much of a deal to Brian and I, yet the girls were so excited. Sadly I realized that as parents we aren't always in the moment. We attempt to make memories with our children by taking them to fun places, buying them trinkets, attending activities, etc. but all they really want is your time and for you to be present. I vow to go back to being the parent I used to be when I was young and carefree, too inexperienced to know the difference, too broke to ply my children with material things, the mom who was really just a kid herself. I'm going to stop being too busy, too tired, too stressed out, too concerned with unloading the dishwasher, too (insert your excuse here) and start making real memories with my kids.......we all deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment